The Department of African Studies is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences of the University of Delhi. It was established in December 1954 at the personal initiative of Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru. He inaugurated it formally on August 6, 1955 with a mandate to promoting awareness about Africa. The Department undertakes inter-disciplinary teaching and research studies leading to M.Phil. and Ph.D. Degrees of the University of Delhi along with Certificate and Diploma in Swahili Language. The Department provides a forum for fostering mutual understanding, friendship and cooperation between peoples of India and Africa. Thus, the mandate of the Department extends beyond its primary function of acquisition and dissemination of knowledge to promotion of India-Africa relations.